Wednesday 26 January 2011

Digipak planning


 I'm thinking of having 8 panels for my digipack a similar sort of style to this digipak for A Beatles album :
4 panels will face inside when the digipak is opened and four on the outside.











I've started to sketch some ideas of what I would like to have on the panels of my digipak,  I've designed the front panel incorpiating my own font. My font was inspired by that used by 'The Beat'.

Digipak ideas (simple bullet points)
Diagram style images of a ska fan (could be comical)
Images of braces, trilby and boots.
Back panel - track listing over photo
Lyrics?
Montage of ska images
Images from music video


Photo's I've taken I could use in my print productions.





















Photo's I've edited.


Before
After  Here I adjusted the threshold of the image to create this stencil effect, then I filled in the background in green, yellow and red, the colours of the Jamacian flag, which are significant to reggae and ska. 
Front panel ideas

 Original idea sketch
After scanning in my sketch I did some editing work in 'ms Paint', just initially filling in the font.


I then did some further editing in Photoshop, I added one of the others I edited of the boots. I choose to add the boots because I think it is a strong image, and is a generic signisfier of the genre.




Here I added another shoe image, a photo I took of someone standing on a record. I like the image and the two sets of the shoes representing the 'rude boy and Rude girl'.








'Rude boy and Rude girl' I was talking about above. The pointed shoes for the female fan, and boots for the male.
















Digipak photoshoot

I took some photo's for my print productions, using Issy as a model, dressing her up in the generic ska costume (braces, sunglasses, trilby). I had an idea for the track listing of my digipak to write the songs names on pieces of paper then stick them to my model, I tried this and think I looks quite effective. Sitting in my models room I saw that she has some string and pegs attacthed from from side of the room to the other, this inspired me to take my idea and pin up the track names. I think having developed this idea it is very effective and visually interesting way of displaying the track listing, and the back panal of my digipak, it is also quite quirky and fun which is again generic of the genre.

 Initial idea, sticking track listing to wall
My model Issy wearing generic ska clothing (Tribly, braces, badges)





Idea development :Pinning the tracks names to the washing line, I think this makes for a very visually nteresting way of displaying the track names, and could work well once edited as the back panal to my digipak.
Side view of ska fan, I thought about including this image on one of the inside panals of my digipak, and editing is so, so it looks like a diagram, 'The typical ska fan' this could be a fun and quirky way of appealing to ska fans, and establishing a generic connection.
Close up of badges on braces- generic costume for ska fans.
Track listings on my model, again I think this a visually intesting way of desplaying the track names. It always is very appealing to ska fans though the models dress in generic ska clothing. I think this idea also adds a quirky element to the digipak, which again quirkiness and fun is generic of the ska genre. 
Image of records, generic.

Edited photo's





1 comment:

  1. Fantastic ideas - I love the pic of Ben in the crucifix pose!!

    ReplyDelete